Honor Where Honor Is Due

Hello everyone! I hope your week is going well. We have had torrential rains here. Monday and Tuesday we thought we might need to build an ark. Our yard was flooded. You couldn't drive any further than our house on our road because it was flooded. One blessing to it all was it was nice and cool. Today, as I type this post, the sun is shining and it is hot again.

I want to share a bit of my story that I don't think I have shared previously. Back in 1996-1997, I went through a terrible illness. I had no appetite and my stomach rebelled against just about everything. Even thinking about certain things would make me sick. At the time I got sick I weighed 108 pounds. At my lowest point I weighed 86 pounds. My doctors had no idea what was wrong with me. They ran tests, gave medicines, put me in the hospital, etc. Up until this point, I hadn't been in the hospital since I was born. I was eighteen when all this began.

I woke up on Sunday, November 10, 1996, with a headache. This was nothing unusual for me. However, back in August I had my wisdom teeth removed and was prescribed some pain killers. Remember, I knew nothing about natural health at this time. So, when I woke up with this headache, I took two of those pain killers. From that day on things went down hill. So, were the pain killers the culprit? I don't know since there were a number of things going on in my life at that time.

i had been working in our Christian school at our church and it was suddenly closed leaving me with nothing to occupy my time. I didn't have anything to do, but sit at home and think. Our church lost our pastor unexpectedly. The new pastor wasn't what we claimed to be and turned out to be a homosexual. That left us searching for yet another pastor and on and on it went. I believe all of this contributed to my situation.

After being in and out of my doctor's office for almost six months, the doctor gave me a low dose antidepressant. I told him I needed something to calm my nerves. He prescribed a ten day supply of this medication and then rolled his chair right up to me. I was nearly in his lap and he began to talk to me.

His mother was blind, so he knew where I was coming from when I said I had nothing to do. He suggested college and I told him I didn't think I could go. He said, "And why not?" He cut me no slack that day. He probably saved my life, but not with his prescription pad, with his straight talk. I am forever grateful for Dr Larkin! He wasn't in a hurry, he took time to go beyond the standard of care and tapped the root of the problem.

I didn't leave Dr Larkin's office that day healed. I got the antidepressant prescription filled and began taking it. My next worry was, "What am I going to do when this runs out?" Dr Larkin wasn't going to give me more. When I expressed this concern to my mother she assured me that I wasn't getting anymore. I still had a few pills left at this time, but I never took another one. I made up my mind that I could make it without them.

My great aunt sent word to us about a lady who came to our town once a month to help the blind get jobs or go to school. I reluctantly made an appointment with her. You have to understand, I had lived a very sheltered life to this point and I was not open minded at all. My mother and I went to this appointment and this lady suggested that I go to the Addie McBride Rehabilitation Center for the blind in Jackson, MS. She wanted me to leave everything familiar and move to a campus an hour and a half from home. I was immediately against this. She suggested that my parents and I go for a tour. We did and I still balked. Finally I agreed to go if I didn't have to stay on campus.

My grandparents had a motor home which they parked on our church organization's campground. My mother and grandparents rotated staying with me and driving me to and from the rehab center. I was still not open minded and didn't gain all the knowledge I could have, but I learned a lot. They taught me cooking safety and tips. They taught cleaning, ironing,how to wash laundry, how to put sheets on a bed, how to sew on a button,how to change electrical outlets, how to make a basket, etc. Some of these things I knew already, but some were new to me. I still have the basket I made.

They evaluated me for technology such as ZoomText, which is a software on the computer that enlarges everything so I can read it. I still use that to this day. They introduced me to a piece of technology that I should have had long before age nineteen. It's called a VisualTech. You place whatever you wish to read on a tray beneath a camera and it is projected on to a screen. You can adjust the magnification as needed. This machine was invented in 1978, the year I was born, but I never knew they existed until 1997.

They taught me to type. I would say this is one of the most valuable things I learned. I'm typing this blog post today because they taught me to type. They taught mobility skills. This consisted of walking around the rehab center with my instructor until I could maneuver through a five story building alone. I was able to use the elevator, go from class to class, go to the lunchroom, etc. Then she began to take me outside. Next we drove downtown Jackson where she taught me to cross streets safely alone. She worked with me for a while, and then she walked behind me and let me go on my own. We visited department stores and practiced getting on and off escalators, which I still dislike. I learned a lot in my short time there. I think I started in February and finished in July. I met a lot of nice people there. I could have stayed longer and they wanted me to, but I was planning to start college in August and wanted some time to prepare.

Yes, I was going to college! The mobility instructor from McBride came down to the college and walked me through the three story building to get me oriented. I had two classes in other buildings and she taught me how to go to them as well. This time I had to learn to use the stairs. I managed well and don't remember one mishap. There were classmates watching out for me, most of the time unbeknownst to me. I spent three years at this college and graduated with honors, a member of Phi Theta Kappa.

No, I didn't leave Dr Larkin's office healed that day, but I left with the prescription for healing. It wasn't the prescription for the antidepressant either. It was the, "why can't you go to college?" It was the vote of confidence. It was the push in the right direction. So, I give honor to Dr Larkin for taking the time to issue the challenge. It made a difference in my life. I began to get better physically and by the time I started college in August 1997, I was well on the road to full recovery. Thank you Dr Larkin!

I saw Dr Larkin this past Sunday night at a gospel concert at the church he attends. I've seen him around from time to time and he always gives me a hug and asks how I'm doing. He came over to talk to me Sunday night and ask what I was doing now. I reached in my card holder and handed him a business card which has Dr Chasity L. Foster on it. He took it and said, "bless you!" After the concert he came back and told me, "I'm so proud of you!" I told him thank you and that he played a huge role in that.

I'm also thankful to my great aunt, Aunt Ruby. She passed away in 2011, but I'm so glad she told about the next lady I'm thankful for. Susan Hudson pushed me to go to the rehab center and then helped me in many ways through college. Of course, I couldn't have done any of it without my mother and grandparents. And ultimately the glory goes to God.

For more information about Homestead Nutrition, or to make an appointment, visit my website at homesteadnutrition.com. Have a healthy and blessed week!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *